The Salmon River in Pulaski NY has two zones dedicated just for fly fishing. The Lower Fly Fishing Zone and the Upper Fly Fishing Zone has special regulations on how you need you can fish these zones.
The following are the regulations for these zones.
Special Regulations for the Salmon River (Oswego County) Fly Fishing Catch-And-Release Areas
Two stream sections between County Route 52 Bridge in Altmar and the Lighthouse Hill Reservoir.
Fishing Hours, Season Dates & Boundaries
Angling permitted: from 1/2 hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Trespassing prohibited at night.
Upper Fly Section: April 1 through November 30. From a marked boundary upstream of the New York State Salmon River Fish Hatchery property to marked boundary approximately 0.6 miles upstream at the Lighthouse Hill Reservoir tailrace.
Fishing is prohibited outside the open season.
Catch & Release: All fish must be immediately released without unnecessary injury.
Tackle Restrictions: Tackle is restricted to a traditional fly rod, fly reel, fly line, and artificial fly (As permitted below).
Restrictions on fly lines, flies, attractors, leaders and supplemental weight:
- Use of less than 20 feet of floating, sinking, or combination floating/sinking fly line or shooting head immediately behind the leader
and in front of any running line or other backing is prohibited.
- Between May 1 and August 31: Floating Fly Lines Only.
- Between September 1 and April 30: Floating, Sinking, and Sinktip fly lines are permitted.
- Between May 1 and August 31: a single unweighted artificial fly having one hook point with a one-half inch maximum gap only permitted.
- Between September 1 and April 30: a single unweighted or weighted artificial fly with no more than 1/8 oz. added weight, having one hook point with a one-half-inch maximum gap only permitted.
- The use of added baits or attractors such as, but not limited to, fish eggs, insects, beads, spoons, spinners, plugs, or similar devices on the line above the artificial fly is prohibited.
- The total length of the leader including the tippet shall not exceed 15 feet.
- Between May 1 and August 31: sinking and metal leaders are prohibited.
- Between May 1 and August 31: the use of supplemental weight such as split shot, sinkers, metal leaders, twistons, or swivels attached to the leader, tippet, fly line or fly is prohibited.
- Between September 1 and April 30: the use of supplemental weight is permitted with the following restrictions.
– The combined weight of any supplemental weight and fly may not exceed one-eighth of an ounce.
– The maximum distance between the artificial fly and any added weight to the line, leader or tippet shall not exceed four feet.
– Weight added to the line, leader, swivels, or artificial fly in any manner such that the weight hangs lower than the attached fly is prohibited.
Quoted from DEC NY Great Lakes Tributaries Regulations